Duration: 6 Days | 5 Nights
Countries to be visited: Italy (Puglia)
Departure & Return Locations: Lecce (Nearest Airport Brindisi)
Season: Low: Mar 15-Mar 26 | Oct 26-Nov 16, Mid: Mar 27-Jun 24 | Sept 5-Oct 25, High: Jun 25-Jul 24
A Puglia cycling experience allows you to take your time and cover many aspects of this wonderful land. The bike will be a way to work off the good food and enjoy the many landscapes offered by this land. There will also be strictly cultural moments and the possibility of a refreshing swim in the clear sea of Puglia. This tour takes you through all along beautiful coasts in Southern Puglia starting and ending in Lecce.
Note: This is a self-guided cycling holiday. The routes proposed in this holiday are mostly flat with wavy lines. You will cycle about 50-55km daily with programmed pauses for visists and refrehsments. You will be given a detailed guide book with maps, and local support is available by phone anytime.
Day: 1 Welcome to Salento, Land between two seas
You will stay in a lovely B&B inside the Old town of Lecce, the capital of Baroque art in Salento. The city, first Messapian and then Roman, contains within its walls proper historical and architectural jewels: a clear example is the great and well-preserved Roman amphitheatre.
Day 2: Lecce - Gallipoli (50km)
After breakfast you will cycle between country roads reaching Copertino, the city of St. Giuseppe, and then Nardó which preserves the most beautiful Baroque square of southern Italy. Afterwards you will reach the coast where the Park of Porto Selvaggio is, authentic green lung of this part of the Ionian coast. Finally, following the coast you will get to Gallipoli, final destination of this beautiful day.
A suggestion: enjoy the sunset on the small beach of “Purità”, located in the village.
Day 3: Gallipoli - Leuca (50km)
Before leaving the “Città Bella” you should visit the Museum in the underground oil mill at Palazzo Granafei: ancient rooms dedicated to lamp oil production. From Gallipoli you will cycle along the road parallel to the coastline until you reach Punta Ristola, the extreme edge of Salento peninsula, the heel of Italy. From the promontory, where the Devil’s Cave is, you can enjoy a wonderful view of the harbour of Leuca and, even further, of Punta Melisso. To end the day we recommend a boat trip to discover the many sea caves.
Day 4: Leuca - Otranto (55km)
An old local legend recommends to visit the Sanctuary of Santa Maria di Leuca. Hence sometimes the horizon mingles with the various shades of blue from sky and sea. Leaving Leuca today you will proceed on a scenic stretch of road overlooking the sea. Among gentle ups and downs you will arrive at the Ciolo canyon, then at the small Bay of Acquaviva, at the Castro of Virgilio, at the thermal baths of Santa Cesarea, always looking at the endless beauty glimpses of sky and sea. Finally you will reach Otranto, the most eastern city of Italy. Here you can get lost in the little old town looking for the connection points between this small town and the great Byzantium, today Istanbul.
Day 5: Otranto - Lecce (55km)
You can not get away from Otranto without visiting the Norman Cathedral, which preserves the largest and most complex paved Mosaic in southern Italy. This work contains so many ancient mysteries: you can see King Arthur, the Puss in Boots, the Calendar, the Board, the three-headed Dragon, and many others. After riding along the coast, you will reach the Natural WWF Park “Le Cesine”: last piece of coastal marsh that once stretched up over Brindisi. Before returning to Lecce you will cross Acaya, the most important Renaissance fortified town in southern Italy, built by Giangiacomo of Acaya in defense of the city of Lecce and commissioned by Emperor Charles V.
Day 6: Lecce
After breakfast transfer to the airport for return travel or onward travel to other parts of Italy. And if you still have some time to spend in this beautiful town, you should visit the archaeological Museum Faggiano in the historic centre.
• Price shown is for a person based on twin share accommodation in a superior room, for the travel period chosen.
• Pricing shown is for mid season during the recommended period above. A small adjustment will be made for low or high seasons (~A$100 less for low season and ~A$300 more for high season).
• All prices displayed are subject to availability and can be withdrawn or varied without notice.
• Prices are guranteed once booking is confirmed by us and paid in full by the due date.
• Depending on your needs and group size (individual, couple, family, group, etc.) we will provide the final pricing for your tour.
• Flexible booking terms and conditions are available. Contact us for enquiries.
• 5 nights with breakfast (1 night each in Leece, Gallipoli, Leuca, Otranto, Lecce)
• Transfer IN & OUT Bari/Brindisi Airports
• Welcome briefing and bike fitting
• Bike hire with pannier and helmet - road bike (A little extra for E-Bike)
• Travel App (maps, tracks, route notes)
• Luggage transportation hotel to hotel
• Phone assistance 08:00-21:00
• International and domestic airfare
• Travel Insurance
• Airport taxes and charges
• Hotel Tourist Taxes payable directly to hotels
• Any Private Expenses
• Meals not mentioned
• Personal Incidentals such as Telephone calls , Room Service, Laundry
• Tip to Guide/Driver, Porterage Fee and others which are personal in nature
• Other services not mentioned in the itinerary
Please refer to our Standard Booking Conditions for booking terms and conditions.